Monday 22 February 2010

Pride and Prejudice

Hello world! So, to carry on from this week’s radio show (thanks for tuning in if you caught it), I’m discussing two feature subjects this week. The first is Pride and the second is Celebrities. Let’s start with the deadliest sin; pride. So what is it? Well, the free dictionary describes pride as;

1. A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
2. Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association.
3. Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.
4. A cause or source of pleasure or satisfaction; the best of a group or class
5. An excessively high opinion of oneself; conceit.

And Wikipedia notes;

In almost every list Pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris, is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self.

But taking the religious point of view and seeing pride as something negative, is it so negative for my parents to be proud of my achievements? Or is it negative for me to be proud of my friends accomplishing their goals, or is it bad for gays and lesbians to have a whole month dedicated to pride in their sexuality?

god-hates-fagsActually, let’s scratch that last one, because some religious nutjobs would have a lot to say about it… but those idiots would have us believe that EVERYTHING is wrong, and I don’t want to stick on religion again – I’ve done it before and I just wanted to use it for the basis of the negative argument. Of course, there is a whole other side to the negative argument of pride, because too much pride can lead to so many things. For example, the inability to swallow one’s pride can lead to arguments, mistrust, lies and the general notion to go fucking things up on a daily basis, I know this because I’ve done it myself. I live a life based on pride and when I know my situation is one worth fighting for, I will often argue to the death before admitting defeat. And what does that achieve? Usually heated situations between people and/or you making a tit of yourself. jerk-pic1

The other instance of pride becoming arrogant when you take the positive notion of having pride in your appearance and just become a jerk. Arrogance is one of the most ridiculous, moronic and petty things man can do, but unless you’re mother Teresa or some other figure above the rest of us shmucks in normal human life, you’ve done it. As have I. I guess what we’re learning is that attributes of humanity in both a physical nature and mental too are things that we can’t avoid, there’s probably a whole chapter on this written by Darwin – I don’t know. Still, we can take solace in the fact that we’re not all doomed and we’re not all jerks all of the time. Shame some people have to ruin the party for the rest of us, aye?

Have your say on this subject with this week’s poll!

Is pride a good thing?
Yes
No
Sometimes
ugg boots

Reno’s moans this week is about celebrities – who are they? What are they? WHY are they? Stay tuned for my post later this week with full info on the subject!!

4380688578_2503c0845b_m

Reno

   Bookmark and Share




No comments:

Post a Comment