Friday 5 December 2008

Album of the Year

This year I have discovered a lot of new music. When I say “new” I don’t mean in the conventional linear sense, I mean the fact that I only just discovered it. Call it selfish or that it doesn’t count because some aren’t albums released in 2008, but it’s my choice and my blog, so…you know…fuck off if you don’t like it.

You may have noticed in some of my newer blogs that I’ve been trying to take a grasp of the blunt, harsh, direct comedy that Gervais and Carr take on, but I' seem to be failing…oh well.

So, after much deliberation and decisions over bands such as Job For a Cowboy, Madina Lake, Ash, Feeder, Everclear, Flobots, Frank Sinatra, Sufjan Stevens, New Found Glory, Jef Wayne and The Red Chord (to just name a few), the Album of the year goes to…

Alter Bridge with their amazing album BLACKBIRD. Without a doubt, this album comes up top. The others were good contenders, but this record is a piece of musical genius.  If you don’t know, Alter alterbridgeblackbirdBridge are the remnants of US hard rock band ‘Creed’ – who I know my brother used to be a fan of. However, don’t let this fact fool you, the sound is SO much different, and in my personal opinion it out-does their old material in every way. Take the title track ‘Blackbird’ for example; the shining 8 minute star among the rest of the blitzing tracks – it has everything; fantastic structure, clarity, complexity, changes in tempo and pace, an epic guitar solo, absolutely fantastic lyrics and a sound that has a maturity that is rarely found amidst the rest of the albums that metal bands are releasing these days. The song is not only powerful in a musical sense, but the journey that it takes you on from start to finish is so powerful that it blows me away every time I hear it. If you’re interested, I’ve posted the song below from YouTube, many thanks to Joenage for uploading it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So now you’re listening to this wonderful song, what else can I tell you? Rapture went well this week, I had two shows (Tuesday and Thursday) as I was filling in for Sam and Mel. It was really fun to get in there twice in 1 week and play some awesome songs. It was flashback week and I played some of the best songs I listened to when I was 15 through 17, but a few had to be cut – including Rasmus by Paul’s hand. Shame.

Here’s a nice photograph from my landscapes module!

awesome3 

Stay safe everyone!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment