Sunday 17 May 2009

The week it all changed…

So this week was the official end for everything that has any form of regularity in my life and to be honest not only is it scary but it’s also quite upsetting. For the last 2 years these things have had to close up but I knew I’d be coming back to relive them just a few months later (after summer holidays) but now it’s all come to an end officially. It makes me quite emotional thinking about certain things.

 

The first main thing that happened was the end of Rapture. If you’re unaware, there was a little controversy that took place before the show which involved Facebook, swearing and bad tags. I want to apologise for what happened in this instance, as I was responsible for how that turned out, so I’m sorry to everyone who was affected by what was said. Everyone has their opinions about censorship on the net and it is only right to respect each others opinions etc.

 

Anyway, the show itself – a four hour blow out show where Ben and I stuck our middle fingers up to the world and declared this momentous occasion was our legacy.

 

finalnonuniflyer copy2 

 

If you missed the show, please find the full show (minus the first 20 mins) on the player below! I warn you, it’s 3 hours and 40 mins long, contains a lot of swearing and screaming as well as a few controversial subjects, so if you’re easily annoyed or offended please don’t hit that play button! For the rest of you, click and enjoy!

 

 

 

 

We had the best show in Rapture’s history. I know I’ve said this already via Facebook but I want to spend a quick moment in case you didn’t get the email, I want to thank absolutely everyone who has ever had anything to do with Rapture over the last year and a half. It has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I love all of you so much. I shed a tear when we shut up shop for the final time, because GK (as shit as it has been) has been my first real radio home. I want to thank Ben, Anthony and Neil above all people, we’ve come a long way since Rapture’s launch in September 2007 and I owe you guys so much for being a part of the on-air team. Also, devout listeners who have been in for the long run and/or promoted the show to all their friends, including Katie, Dax, Laura, Dom, Ginawr, Elliot, Jack, Sylvia and any of Ben’s friends who I don’t know but worked hard to make Rapture popular towards the end of our fantastic run.

 

DSCN1135

Our sign off message went down a treat

 

 

Image187

Classic times with Neil

 

Anyway, so Rapture is dead and there’s nothing we can do about it anymore! Instead, we can fill the dead air time until Varsity Radio starts up – PODCAST TIME. Your favourite DJ (me – lol) will be bringing you special podcasts presented by myself and special guests! It will be called Crystal Sounds – discussions and chats about random shit. Again, warnings of swearing go without saying, easily offended need not listen.

 

test

 

Check out Crystal Sounds here. You can subscribe through iTunes and listen to my intro show on that site so head over and prepare for the storm that approaches!

 

Okay, so that’s the Rapture junk over. Now it’s time to tell you about Friday and Saturday. Friday was officially last time I was to hang out with Ben (in uni time) so we headed out to The Underground to see Skin Deep support a pretty rubbish band who slaughtered some good hardcore songs (BMTH and ADTR) but the night was fun.

 

DSCN1172

 

Ben went home Saturday and I got ready for THE SUMMER BALL!

 

DSCN1188 DSCN1184 DSCN1187

 

The ball was an amazing night, not for the attractions (coz they were shit) but for the people and the chance to say goodbye to so many people I have come to love while here at Staffs. Here’s some of the best pics of the night…

 

 DSCN1197DSCN1207 DSCN1208DSCN1235DSCN1204   DSCN1209 DSCN1217  DSCN1222 DSCN1224 DSCN1226 DSCN1228 DSCN1232 

DSCN1239

The night was just the best, stayed until 5 am, that’s 7 hours of partying baby! Got closure and was just generally happier when I left. I want to personally thank Andy for being a bigger person than I was. He came to me, shook my hand, gave me a hug and we settled all the shit from before Xmas. I hope he gets to read this or Katie passes the message onto him because it was one of the highlights of my night. Saying goodbye to the LRV was weird but also a strangely refreshing thing to do, it was upsetting but liberating – moving forward to better things. To anyone who is leaving soon and I won’t see after last night, I want to wish you the every success in the future. You’re all amazing and I love you to pieces. Thank you so much for an amazing 3 years at uni, it was you who made it what it was.

 

I’ll probably write another blog about special uni people soon, in fact I’m certain I will – there’s something for you to look forward to…or is it? Oh well.

 

Speaking of special people, I just want to say I love Bexx, she’s the best.

 

 

I missed her off the home visit blog and she was very upset, I’m sorry babe! She’s one of the coolest ever people I’ve ever met and it was wicked seeing her for that brief 40 minutes at Kidderminster train station.

 

You’re probs a good way into Rapture by the end of reading this lol, it’s taken me a billion years to write it!! Anyway that’s it for now!

 

More golden nuggets of bloggish therapy on the way soon!

 

 

Reno (AKA Donkey boy) x

No comments:

Post a Comment