Saturday 20 June 2009

It’s about time…

So it’s taken me a while to get my arse in gear and finally do this but I’m going to tell you about an album I’m absolutely fascinated by at the moment. As you may be aware, I have strange habits with music, the main one being that I will find an album I like and listen to it religiously for an undetermined amount of time. This obsession can last for months or just days, but when it comes to an end I will stop listening to it outright and will generally forget about it or refuse to listen to it for a year or so. The latest album to be sucked into this black hole of musical endeavour is Folie A Deux by Fall Out Boy.

Unsuspectingly, this album is full of absolutely fantastic songs. I’ve always been a ‘relaxed’ FOB fan from the outset, thinking their singles were alright but not interested enough to buy or even download an album. This trait continued when I heard I Don’t Care – the debut single from the album. The video to the single was really fun and I enjoyed dancing around to it when it appeared on Scuzz over Christmas. Then at Easter I saw the video for the second single – America’s Suitehearts (yeah I spelled it right, take it up with them!) and liked the song even more than the first. So I thought “screw it, 2 good songs, might as well get the whole album”. For a while I’d play the two tracks and then jump down my itunes ladder and play something different, but once I let the album play on after Suitehearts and was suprised by the catchyness of the next song. I still lacked faith in it, but last week gave the whole album a good listen and about half way through the amazing ballad that is ‘What a Catch Donnie’ I heard a familiar voice pop up. It was Elvis Costello. I couldn’t believe it. The song also includes cameos from singers like Brandon Urie from Panic at the Disco and a few others too.

Anyway, simply put, there’s nothing that can be put down about this album. Every song is a corker, though it does admittedly get successively better as it develops (that’s right, I Don’t Care and America’s Suitehearts are now my 2 least favourite tracks on the album now!!). Great sound all the way through, it is a tribute to the ways in which bands can successfully develop and mature without turning shit. Get the album, you won’t be dissapointed!

Best tracks: What a Catch Donnie, 27, The Shipped Gold Standard, 20 Dollar Nose Bleed

I’ll leave you with my favourite song – listen out for Costello’s cameo at about 3 mins in!

 

Reno x

No comments:

Post a Comment